Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Power Amp FAQ's!!!!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member suburban's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2003
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    I'm having trouble with an amp I'm using as a mic pre. The mic is picking up the noise generated by the amp. The sound is like that of ground hum that we've all heard come through our speakers at one time or another.


    Question 1: How do you eliminate power amp 'hum' generated by the amp itself?


    Question 2: What's the best way to clean the pots on an amp? Product?


    Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Suburban,

    I won't address your first question but I can help with the second. Caig (www.caig.com) makes a wide variety of very effective cleaners for electronics. Clean switches and other metal contacts that are not plated with precious metals (gold for example) with DeoxIT. You may want to apply a follow-up coat of PreserveIT to prevent further oxidation. Contacts that are plated with a precious metal should use ProGold. Potentiometers should be cleaned with CaiLube.

    Caig sells sampler or "survival" kits of their various products on the web site. There is an SK-AV35 Audio/Video kit that gives a good selection of the stuff you might need. They have frequent "web specials" that will save you a few dollars as well.

    Other vendors such as www.partsexpress.com carry the more popular Caig products at less than list prices.

    By the way, I don't work for Caig or sell this stuff. I just use it and have had very good results with it. In dealing with old electronics you often times don't have the option of replacing a part. The only choice is to recondition the original and Caig does that.

    Later . . .

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    forums

    FABULOUS!

    Now I can get the bad sliders on my ALTEC 1220 Mixing Console working like they should!

    I've been looking for something like this stuff for years!

    THANKS!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Todd,

    I like to hear how Caig products work (or don't) for various applications. Let us know what happens with your console!

    Later . . .

  5. #5
    Inactive Member suburban's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2003
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oops! Did I say Craig...?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member suburban's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 5th, 2003
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks a lot Altec Fan!!! I've heard of these Craig Products before. I believe it was in an issue of TapeOp.

    Anyway, the article went on to read nothing but good things.

    Thanks again!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.